Summer can be rough on your lips. Despite the usual everyday wear and tear, your lips are exposed to high heat, the blazing sun, and raging humidity. They get chapped, reddened, dried out, and can even peel. Here’s a recipe for homemade lip balm using KARMIRI extra virgin olive oil that can keep your lips moisturized and protected from the elements, not only during the summertime but throughout the year. This recipe makes about one tube or container of lip balm, but can be easily scaled-up to make lovely gifts for your friends and family.
Homemade Olive Oil Lip Balm
Makes 1 tube/container
- 1 teaspoon beeswax (found here)
- 1½ teaspoons KARMIRI Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1-2 drops of pure essential oil, like peppermint or lavender (optional)
- Place a heat-resistant glass Pyrex measuring cup in a pot with a couple inches of water. Turn the heat on at a low setting until the water starts to steam.
- Add the beeswax and olive oil to the measuring cup; mix with a popsicle stick or wooden skewer until melted.
- Add 1-2 drops of essential oil for fragrance or flavor, if desired.
- Pour the mixture carefully into a lip balm container.
- Wait at least five minutes to cool before using.